Also spelled Duffitt
Updated March 31, 2011
My mother would be my first Duffett ancestor. She married RAYMOND
RODGERS on August 24, 1971 in Lower Lance Cove, NL. Her parents were
CHESLEY DUFFETT and MATILDA IVANY who were married on April
19, 1926 in Britannia. Their children include:
1) ANNIE MAUD: born February 17, 1927. Married BAXTER DAVIS
on August 19, 1953 in Britannia.
2) AMY DORIS: born May 7, 1929 in Britannia and baptized on June
23, 1929. She married ARTHUR JAMES CARAVAN on August 20, 1953 in
3) ALLAN MATTHEW: born June 25, 1930 in Britannia and baptized on
July 13, 1930. He married SUSANAH TAVENOR on January 4, 1956 and
later remarried MARY HISCOCK. He died September 21, 2010 and is buried at Britannia, Random Island.
4) ROSALIE LILLIAN MAE: born August 9, 1932 in Britannia and
baptized on September 18, 1932. She married DOUGLAS MCKINLEY IVANY
on July 10, 1957 in Britannia.
5) CHESLEY ALPHAEUS: born on October 21, 1937 in Britannia and
baptized on October 24, 1937. He died on October 24, 1937 and is buried
in the Salvation Army cementary in Lower Lance Cove.
6) ROLAND MAXWELL: born on March 31, 1939 in Britannia and baptized
on April 6, 1939. He died on April 9, 1939 and is buried in the Salvation
Army cementary in Lower Lance Cove.
7) GLENYS VERNA: born on August 30, 1947. She married FRAZER
WOODLAND on August 27, 1966 in St. John's.
8) ZELDA JUANITA: born October 9, 1948. She married JOSEPH
BLUNDELL on December 9, 1967 in Lower Lance Cove.
9) WILHELMINA BLANCHE: born August 24, 1949. She married RAYMOND
RODGERS (see above).
The next generation of Duffett's would
be the parents of CHESLEY DUFFETT. They were JAMES ALLAN DUFFETT
and ANNIE MAUD MILLS who were married on May 9, 1903 in Britannia
Cove. Their children were:
1) WALTER CHESLEY: born April 30, 1904 in Britannia Cove and
baptized on May 9, 1904. He married MATILDA IVANY (see above) and
died in 1983. He is buried in the Salvation Army cementary in Lower Lance
2) JAMES MAXWELL: born September 24, 1906 in Britannia Cove and
baptized on October 26, 1906. He married NELLIE IVANY in 1929 and
later remarried JOSIE MURPHY in 1986. He died on April 20, 1998
and was buried in the Salvation Army cementary in Lower Lance Cove on the 23rd of April, 1998.
3) ELIZA JANE: born February 24, 1913 in Lower Lance Cove and was
baptized on April 27, 1913. She died on February 2, 1930 and is buried in
the Salvation Army cementary in Lower Lance Cove.
4) EVA MAY: born August 28, 1916 in Britannia and baptized on September
10, 1916. She died September 22, 2008 and is buried at the Salvation Army Cementary in St. John's. She never married.
5) ANNIE BLANCHE: born on December 9, 1922 in Britannia and baptized
on January 14, 1923. She married GEORGE JANES. She died January 10, 2008 and is buried in the United Church Cementary in Britannia.
next generation is the parents of James Allen Duffett who are
JAMES DUFFETT and PRISCILLA PENNELL. This couple were
married on July 9, 1865 in Bay de Verde and had 9 children. I believe the oldest
1) MARY ANN: She was born approximately around 1865 in Bay de Verde and baptized on October 8, 1865.
She married a man by the name of THOMAS GREEN on May 17, 1884, in
Britannia Cove. This couple did not have any children. She had a younger sister named
2) ELIZABETH: She was born in 1867, also in Bay de Verde. She was baptized on August 18, 1867. Like her sister
she married in Britannia Cove on December 30, 1890 to JAMES IVANY.
3) MARIA (sometimes spelled MYRIA): was born on February 3, 1873 in
Bay de Verde. She was baptized on February 23, 1873. She married AZARIAH
(or ALEX) THISTLE. Her older brother was
4) WILLIAM HENRY: who was born in either 1869 or 1870 in Bay de Verde, married twice. His
fisrt wife was SARAH POND. This couple had at least three children, HUBERT JAMES,
EDWARD GEORGE, and WILLIAM THOMAS. William three more children with his
second wife RACHEL HARNUM (also recorded as RACHEL MILLER). Their names
were ALICE PRISCILLA, BESSIE MAUD, and HENRY HUDSON.
5) GEORGE HUBERT: born September 20, 1875 in Britannia Cove. He was baptized
on July 9 (these dated may be mixed up). He married
CECLIA VARDY on January 4, 1902. He passed away on April 18, 1949.
6) EMILY SARAH: was born in 1878. She married a man from Hickman's Harbour
named ASA BLUNDELL on January 4, 1900 in Britannia Cove.
7) JAMES ALLAN: born in 1880 in Britannia Cove. As mentioned he
married ANNIE MAUD MILLS on May 9, 1903 in Britannia Cove. He passed away
on January 16, 1956.
8) EMMA JANE: was the last daughter to be born to this couple. She was born
on October 24, 1884 in Britannia Cove. She was baptized on December 26 of
the same year. She married RICHARD HUGH ROBERTS of England on December 24, 1902.
9) JOHN THOMAS: was born on October 30, 1887 in Skinner's Cove. He was baptized on February 27,
1888 by W. BOWERING. He married JESSIE MARCH on May 3, 1906 in
Upper Lance Cove and had two children, MAUD and RALPH.
The only information I have about JAMES DUFFETT, the father of these children
is that his grandfather was THOMAS DUFFETT, from England. His grandmother
may have been ANNE. JAMES DUFFETT had three
siblings, ELIZABETH, GEORGE and JOHN. His mother may have
been ANN. James was born in 1842 in Bay de Verde. My Duffett information ends here.
Back to the main page
St. John's, Newfoundland