Updated November 27, 2000
My grandmother was an Ivany from Hodder's Cove. Her name was
MATILDA IVANY. She married my grandfather CHESLEY DUFFETT
on April 19, 1926 in Britannia Cove. Her parents were MATTHEW
IVANY of Bonaventure and ROSEANNA STEELE of Burgoyne's Cove.
This couple was married in 1898 shortly after Matthew's first wife,
ANNIE DUFFETT passed away. Matthew and Roseanna has two daughters:
1) ZIPPORAH: born September 4, 1900 in Hodder's Cove and baptized
on November 11, 1900.
2) MATILDA: born December 20, 1904 in Burgoyne's Cove and baptized
on February 17, 1905. She married CHESLEY DUFFETT (see above) and
died on October 23, 1978. She is buried in the Salvation Army cementary in Lower
Matthew and Annie also had children. They were:
1) JAMES: born January 11, 1895 in Hodder's Cove and baptized on
January 12, 1895. He may have married a woman named Sophie.
2) JOHN: born November 30, 1891 in Hodder's Cove and baptized on
March 28, 1892. He may have married a woman named Patience.
3) AMY ANN: born January 24, 1897 in Hodder's Cove and baptized
on February 1, 1897. Her first marriage was to LEANDER VERGE on
May 1, 1916 in Britannia. Her other marriages were to EUGENE BUGDEN,
ED SMITH and EZEKIAL MARTIN. She died in 1995.
The next generation of Ivany's would be the parents of Matthew Ivany.
His father was JAMES IVANY of New Bonaventure and his mother
JUDY HIGDEN of British Harbour. This couple was married on
November 14, 1854 in Trinity. Their children include:
1) TRIPHENIA: born June 25, 1856 in New Bonaventure on baptized over four months later by Benjamin Smith on November 9, 1856 in New Bonaventure. She married
JOHN LAITE on June 28, 1886 in Lance Cove.
2) MARY JANE: born on September 3, 1858 in New Bonaventure and
baptized on January 16, 1859.
3) EMMA PATIENCE: born on February 13, 1861 in New Bonaventure and baptized there on July 14, 1861.
4) GEORGE WILLIAM: born February 26, 1863 in New Bonaventure and
married ELLEN PITCHER on December 23, 1891 in Trinity.
5) MATTHEW: born in April 5, 1865 in New Bonaventure. He married
ANNIE DUFFETT and ROSEANNA STEELE. (see above)
6) ALFRED JOHN: (may have been Issac John) born December 3, 1876 in Hodder's Cove and baptized
on December 5, 1876. I believe he married a woman named LUCY ELLEN.
7) MARGARET ELIZABETH: born on July 17, 1867 in New Bonaventure
and baptized on July 28, 1867.
8) MATILDA: September 28, 1869 in New Bonaventure and baptized on
October 13, 1869. I believe she married THOMAS COOPER.
9) AMY ANN: born May 18, 1872 in New Bonaventure and baptized on
May 23, 1872.
10) BRIDGET PATIENCE: born on October 5, 1874 in New Bonaventure
and baptized on October 12, 1874.
My next Ivany ancestor would be
James Ivany's father, MATTHEW IVANY. Matthew married PATIENCE
LEDDROW on October 9, 1826 and had 7 children. They were:
1) RICHARD: born September 29, 1836 in Bonaventure and baptized on
October 23, 1836.
2) AMY: born on August 11, 1839 in Bonaventure on baptized on
September 23, 1839.
3) MARGARET: born in 1841 in Bonaventure and baptized on February
4) TRYPHENA: born in March 17, 1844 in New Bonaventure. She married
RICHARD COOK on December 11, 1869 in Trinity.
5) WILLIAM: born on June 30, 1850.
6) CHAROLETTE: born on June 10, 1832 in Bonaventure and baptized on
July 20, 1832.
7) JAMES: born May 15, 1829 in Bonaventure and baptized on June 21,
1829. He married JUDITH HIGDON. (see above)
I have managed to continue with my Ivany information. The next generation
would be Matthew Ivany and his siblings. Their parents were JAMES IVANY
and JANE ABBOTT who were married on October 16, 1783 in Trinity.
Their children include:
The next generation of Ivany's would be the siblings of JAMES IVANY. JAMES' parents were JOHN IVANY SR. and PATIENCE (nee unknown). Their children were:
1) SARAH: born around 1750. She married STEPHEN HOOKEY on
October 14, 1774 in Trinity. She died on January 6, 1834 and was buried
in January 1834 in New Bonaventure.
2) JOSEPH: born around 1759 in Bonaventure and baptized on October
15, 1759. He married ELIZABETH MORLEY on August 26, 1787 in Trinity.
He died in September of 1843 in Ireland's Eye and was buried on October
2, 1843 in Trinity.
3) MARTHA: born around 1774 in Bonaventure and baptized on October
5, 1777. She married SAMUEL MILLER JUNIOR on October 14, 1792 in
Trinity. She died on September 12, 1818 in Bonaventure and was buried in
4) JOHN JUNIOR: born in 1762 in Bonaventure. He married AMEY
MILLER on October 19, 1794 in Trinity. He later remarried MARY (surname unknown) on November 17, 1802 in Trinity. He died on June 10, 1834 in New Bonaventure and was buried on June 12, 1834 in New Bonaventure.
5) WILLIAM: born in 1764 in Bonaventure and baptized on October
17, 1766. He died in New Bonaventure and was buried on July 15, 1814 in
6) MARY: born in 1771 in Bonaventure and was baptized on November
13, 1771. She died in January 1842 in New Bonaventure and was buried on
January 6, 1842 in Trinity.
7) CATHERINE: born in Bonaventure and baptized on October 5, 1777.
Her baptism record records her surname as EYVMEY. She married
JAMES WOODS on November 26, 1786 in Trinity.
8) JAMES: born in 1757 at Bonaventure and baptized on May 20, 1798.
He married JANE ABBOTT. (see above)He died on May 20, 1798 in
Bonaventure and was buried on May 24, 1798 in Trinity.
remarried a man named JAMES VALLIS on October 27, 1800.
James Ivany's father was JOHN IVANY SENIOR. Parish records record his
surname as IVYMY. His wife was PATIENCE (surname unknown).
Back to the main page
St. John's, Newfoundland